I usually don’t do movie reviews on here, but I really wanted to talk about the fun day I had with this movie! I just decided to see it on a Saturday afternoon and it turned into a Galentine’s Day with old and new friends!
The general plot is that Harley Quinn and the Joker break up and she struggles to find her identity. After struggling to get over her breakup privately, Harley Quinn decided to publicly announce to the world via an explosion that she is no longer the Joker’s girlfriend.
The problem with doing that is now everyone who has had a grudge on Harley in the past decides that it’s time to come after her and kill her since she’s no longer under the Joker’s protection.
After being kidnapped by the Black Mask, she manages to get her freedom by promising to find a famous diamond that would unlock an old mafia family’s bank vault. The problem is it’s with a pickpocket kid named Cassandra Cain. So Harley must decided to either sell the kid out or protect the kid from danger.
This movie is full of funny moments so here’s a list of my favorites.
- Any time a villain appears on screen to come after Harley and she would list the reasons why they hated her such as putting a permanent tattoo of a clown on someone’s head.
- The dramatic moment with Harley and her egg sandwich which a friend of mine made afterwards and said it definitely was worth the dramatic moment.
- Any time the Huntress attempted to be dramatic and came across as awkward.
The first major surprise was when I walked into the theater. This movie is rated R for a really good reason as the language is extremely strong (a lot of “motherf***er being thrown around) and the film is extremely violent (Black Mask has a really disturbing method of torturing his victims that I could not watch). So why did some parents bring their kids? Those kids definitely learned some colorful language and probably had nightmares about the Black Mask for a while!
As for the film itself, I was surprised by:
- The Black Canary’s special move since I did not know much about her before the film.
- How the Birds of Prey came to be since they all started out not liking each other.
- The larger role of the Huntress in the film.
- The stunt work that had to be done for Harley Quinn: She does backflips and cartwheels, takes down guys twice her size, there was a stunt involving a motorcycle and a rope. I was really impressed because those stunts looked really hard!
- The little hair tie moment was a cute little surprise of women helping each other out during fighting.
Overall I really enjoyed the movie! I thought it was fun seeing Harley Quinn find her way in life. I also liked seeing the other women form their own path. The Canary went from working for Black Mask to kicking ass and forming Birds of Prey with the Huntress. The Huntress was able to defeat everyone who killed her family. Rene got out of the police office where she felt like no one respected her. Cassandra and Harley Quinn formed their own firm with the money from the diamond. I just enjoyed that it was a feel good movie that just made you want to smile and appreciate the friends you have in your life that support you like The Birds of Prey eventually supported Harley.
What made this movie really special was watching it with friends. I sat down at the theater and saw someone waving me over and it was an old friend from college! She was actually dressed in a Harley Quinn cosplay complete with makeup and the little black heart on her cheek. I met some of her friends and then we hung out together after the movie for a while. So watching a movie about forming bonds while hanging with old friends and making new friends is what made this movie so special to me!
What did you think of this film? Let me know what is one of your favorite memories of going to see a movie!